Thursday, August 9, 2012

Lost Lenore

 
Since I consider myself a writer, I do as all great writers have done before me.  I steal from others.  Does that mean I'm being lazy?  No, I don't believe so.  In fact, when someone wants to use or mimic your writing style, I think you should feel honored (unless they say it was all their idea).

I think borrowing a writing style and then morphing it to become your own is a great writing practice to begin with.  Believe it or not, borrowing from Poe for one verse took longer for me to write than a regular caption, but I wanted that eerie effect that is often associated with his writing to come out in this caption.  What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. Certainly I won't agree with you on the part that you say mimicking or taking certain parts of a book and working with that or an author style is stealing nor even borrowing.

    I would call it Improvement! Even Mozart is known for going around and "stealing" others people works. It's also known as the first former "pirate" *giggle* But even so great authors from our century and previous centuries had stated that they took texts from other authors and worked with that.

    In fact I'm sure you had read a book and then another where they had the exact same subplots or similar plots... There is not such a thing as pure originality. That's a hoax!

    So Stealing in the pure form of the word is taking a text with all the words - even if you rephrase - and not telling others that this wasn't yours by quoting his/her name. :P

    Hugs and Kisses Alectra

    ReplyDelete