Wednesday, August 8, 2012

That Face


Here's a fun recaption I did as part of an offer I currently have going on the Haven.  For this promotion, I've offered a great many number of photos for other artists to caption for me, and I'll use that same photo and write a new story for them--this has become a popular idea amongst those of us who love seeing things in different ways.

However, I'm not going to dwell on that too much.  What I want to talk about is the importance of facial expression one chooses for a caption.  When I set out to post photos for other havenettes to caption, I had to make sure that each one's face told a story.  Whether that story be funny or painful or heart-warming, it had to say more than "sex."  Sure, sex sells, but so do well-written stories.

So I put it to you: How important are facial expressions in a TG caption?

5 comments:

  1. I don't think there's anything more important. For me, if the face doesn't match the story, it completely shatters the illusion. Now, the face can say "sex" if that's the story you're telling, but I usually like to have something a little more involved than that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree with Mc Gee :)

    Face is a hell lot of important, if you want the audience to watch the face, otherwise if the story is focused in other parts of the body then you can work around with that in the story too. Its all about how you want to focus your stories. And I could have seen this as funny caption rather than telling a sex story in the background :P

    I have to ask because I'm seriously confused now... I know there are SitCom's but RomCom Whats that?

    Hugs and Kisses Alectra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SitCom = Situational Comedy

      RomCom = Romantic Comedy

      Delete
  3. I'd go so far as to say that the face IS the caption. If the expression doesn't match the story, then it's just a bad cap. We can expect the viewership or readers to fill in some blanks, but we can't expect them to explain why the smiling girl in the photo is crying out in fear or humiliation, or why the sad fearful girl is overjoyed with her new body.

    I think you have a perfect example here... your explanation works for the awkward smile and makes it fit perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the facial reactions can be a big factor, but you can certainly work around it if need be, whether its an off screen voice comparing the contrary facial expression to how they REALLY feel, or manipulating the picture somehow to focus on other elements.

    For me, every photo needs an anchor point in which to tie together the image to the story you are crafting. That can be the facial expression, the location of the subject / protagonist (ie. a taxi, on stage, a corn maze, or in bed for instance) or something as simple as a magazine on the model's lap. When you can take that anchor point and tie in some other elements of the picture, then it makes the story seem more real and vibrant .. and keeps the overall product balanced.

    When I look at the picture you used, the anchor point is that she's obviously being interviewed or on a dating type game show. Her facial expression would be a topper, or even an enhancement of a "zinger". It drives home the point of him being uncomfortable in her body.

    ReplyDelete