Sunday, June 16, 2013

Shifty Times - A Look at Kaitlyn's Previous Great Shift Captions

I've been lacking this week, so I thought I would make a longer post this evening.  Something I've been thinking about doing for a little while actually; I know the Great Shift isn't exactly everyone's favorite, but let's face it, the Shift has a big part in TG Caption fantasy.  Maybe because it's an easy universe to use, or maybe because the anarchy it would present is appealing to some.  Personally, I like the idea that a world-over event would force people to accept changes...  and I don't like some other things.  In any case, here are Great Shift captions I've created throughout my years of captioning since 2009!



In 2010, I had one of my first notions since I began trading to create some captions just for myself (as I have done more recently as of late).  I ended up making about 25 new Great Shift Captions; here are a couple of them.  You might see more on this blog later.



Of course, one thing many point out is that obviously, with an event like the Great Shift, not everyone gets to be a hot and sexy college girl...  As outlined in this 2011 caption:


While I do feel that over time my use of the universe got more creative, one thing that I think stuck with me about why I liked this universe was not only was there a change of body, but identity entirely.  A boy could become a mother, and a friend could become your sister.


Last year I had an idea, considering how social media has integrated into our lives.  I asked the question what would something like facebook look like in a post-shift universe?  I've posted this one before when I began this blog, and had created several others.  Of course, by now, facebook looks a bit different again, but I did enjoy creating little extra goodies on the page.  You'll notice Overly Attached Girlfriend is one of my friends, and there are some advertisements related to post-shift stress.


I'm actually going to stop here...  no 2013 captions are in here, as I feel like I've shared most of them on here anyway.  But there are plenty more Shifty captions from my past, and they might just make it here!  Hope you enjoyed another trip through Kaity's captioning past!

5 comments:

  1. This is some great material. Particularly the Facebook page. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm one of those that doesn't really appreciate the Great Shift. First off, I think it's horribly over used by people that can't imagine something original. So most of the GS captions are thinly veiled variations of other captions.

    That being said, I think you write very good GS captions. Your stories are well thought out and well presented. I think the only problem I have with well written GS captions like yours is the fact that it isn't quite a 'personal' story. Since this happened to most people it's common.. not special. The subject can easily seek out help and solace with other people that were similarly changed.

    That being said, I do enjoy reading your 'Shifty' captions. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I hope I outlined in the post, I completely understand why many don't like the Great Shift. I agree that it is used in excess for a variety of reasons. What I hoped to convey in the post was how my writing for Great Shift captions had... well, shifted. I think there's a place for Great Shift captions, but I also believe it gets drowned by over-use. I do my best to make each Shift caption unique. It was the first universe I ever wrote in, and of course one primary reason I chose it was that I believed I could do better. Thanks Caitlyn!

      Delete
  3. Do you still have this facebook account? Can you post a link to it here?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never made a fake facebook account. I took a screenshot of a facebook page and edited to look that way.

      Delete